Monday, December 05, 2005

The Ice Is Back

Well, we finally have ice at the Iowa Great Lakes. I took a drive around the area yesterday and talked to one hardy soul at the Templar Park boat ramp inlet, he said that where he was fishing it was about an inch and a half thick. I stepped back off the ice. All appears to be frozen except the main basin on West Okoboji. The problem is there is about 4-5 inches of snow on top of the ice that is insulating it and hampering making ice. The surface is slushy. Most of the smaller water froze last Tuesday night.
I have not been fishing, but I have been hunting. Phil King his brother Paul and I have had a couple of really nice goose shoots, getting our limit of 6 the last time out as well as three bonus Drake Mallards. We got into them last week the day before the storm that shut down South Dakota. The mallards where northern ducks, big with bright orange feet any yellow bills. We had our geese by 10:30 A.M.. We then spent about 2 hours just calling geese to our decoys, man is that a sight, at one time we had about 75-80 birds landing in the decoys they were all around us. Quite a sight.
I talked to Rick Dicus, EXPERIENCE THE OUTDOORS RADIO, and Harlan Herbst at 4 Seasons Bait and Tackle, Seney, IA. Rick as you know was my Trap Attack partner 2 years ago and he is fired up to get on the ice, as am I. Harlan has all your ice fishing needs at his shop.
Anyway that is what is going on up here. I am hunkered down waiting for safe ice. It is -8 F this morning in Spirit Lake, IA. Later

No comments: