Thursday, April 21, 2005

Boji Update

Well the tempo is picking up in the Iowa Great Lakes Region (Boji Land). Last weekend there was a bass tournament on Okoboji and on Spirit. The smallie bite continues to be hot for us. I took a drive around Big Spirit last Saturday and not one boat was on our spot or any spot like we were fishing. I didn't go to the weigh-in so I don't know how they did. Mark Mitchell and I took a run at both Big Spirit and West Okoboji last week and did well. The bass we caught on boji were not as big as the bass on Spirit. I believe the water temperature is the reason, Big Spirit was about 56-58 and West Okoboji was 48-51. The big females are up shallow on Spirit and not on Boji. The water temps are going to take a plunge tomorrow nite, lows expected to be in low 30's brr.
Rick Dicus, Harlan Herbst and I took another run at Silver Lake Sunday, it sucked. We got on the water at 8 AM in fog so thick you could hardly see the buoys at the boat ramp. After a little confusion until we found the point to follow, we pitched jigs from the southeast corner to Trapper Bay, Harlan caught one sheephead on a deadstick and crawler, and Rick and I missed one each. The walleye definitely were negative. Water temp warmed to 58 in the afternoon, still nothing. Rick caught a 13 incher on a Flasher Jig in the afternoon, and I got bit off by a Northern and that was it. Harlan got antsy about 3:30 so we quit, mistake. Leif from Hartley was just putting in when we took out, he said he killed them from 4:00 until dark on Saturday. Oh well, we had a good time anyway.
I talked to my good friend Scott Berry yesterday. He is just back from a GNWC tournament out on Lake Sharpe in South Dakota. He and his partner Curt had to fish in 35 MPH winds during the tournament, but they did fill a limit, good enough for 13th place just out of the money.

No comments: