Wednesday, April 06, 2005

First Soft Water Outing Of The Season

Well, I finally was able to put the Ranger in the water and do a little walleye fishing this past weekend. Here is what went down. Sunday, Rick and I fished Silver Lake in Dickinson County to no avail, I lost one fish and Rick landed a 10 incher. A real disappointing trip, because the reports had been excellent. Evidently the bite had switched to evening because there were 5 guys in belly boats and an equal number in waders just west of the boat ramp when we came in Sunday night. BRRR, the water temp was 49.4.
Monday April 6th, we packed up and went to Storm Lake in Buena Vista County, and man am I glad we did. We caught 12 walleyes and kept 8 between 15 and 17 inches. We just couldn't get that last fish for 3 limits. Rick Dicus (Experience The Outdoors) and Harlan Herbst, (4 Seasons Bait and Tackle, Seney, IA), were in the boat with me. The pattern was Walleye Flasher Jigs and a minnow in 5-2 feet of water. It also seemed to help if you had a piece of Berkley Power Grub on the jig as well. The walleyes were really biting short, you had to feed it back to them if you felt them, it didn't help to have a stinger on, they ignored the offering completely if a stinger was added to the jig.
I was really impressed with the performance of my Optima batteries, the 3 D31M batteries had plenty of power to push the 74lb thrust trolling motor and run the live well, bait well, and all the electronics all day long both days. It takes about half the time to recharge them that it takes to charge the wet cells. I think I have convinced Rick to give them a try, I know he has ordered one to replace his cranking battery that was dead this spring. Anyway the the first trip of the year was a lot of fun with friends, with the bonus of catching a few fish.

No comments: