Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Electronics Mounts

Well, I'm considering a switch from Ram mounts to either Stabil or Cisco mounts, they are both the same price. Cisco looks to be a little more adjustable than Stabil but a little harder to remove the units from the boat than Stabil mounts. Both American made. I just can't get the Ram 1.5 inch locked down tight enough with these larger units ie:Humminbird 998csi. I used the shorter arm last summer and that was better but the unit still moved. Up front on the deck the Humminbird 788ci, seemed more solid but still moved some. I haven't convinced myself that spending a couple of hundred bucks for two new mounting systems is the way to go. Of course with what I have invested in electronics, that isn't much money to protect them.
I think the first order of business this spring is getting the in-hull puck transducer glassed in the hull. Then I will be able to get sonar readings on plane on the 998. I have never done this particular install before so I will go slow and get some help. I hope I can just sand the hull smooth by the live well and bilge pumps and not have to take the oil tank out and stand on my head to get the ducer glassed in the set back area of the Ranger 619!!
I need to get this done so I can fully learn the capabilities of the 998, DI,SI,Snap Shot etc. I only got to use it about 5 times last year do to that knee thing but will be out full bore this summer. (Hopefully)

No comments: