Friday, January 28, 2005

Perch and Walleye

Hello, I have been able to get out and do a little fishing at Silver Lake. I have been having some success on nice eater walleyes, up to 18 inches, and I even have been getting a few nice perch. In fact, I caught a perch last night that was 13 inches long. I caught only one perch though. The bite has been right at sundown and only last about 45 minutes. I have caught them on a Do-Jigger and a minnow and a Rat Finkie and a minnow.
The Iowa Great Lakes Winter Games are this weekend, so the place is going to be alive with tourists. Smith's Bay will be un-fishable, in fact it was yesterday, due to the crews getting the ice ready for all the festivities. This is always a great thing for the area, it brings in a lot of revenue to local businesses. The Iowa Great Lakes Chamber of Commerce does great job!!
I see there is some guy from Milford who thinks he is going to get the muskellunge season back the way it was. For those of you who don't know, muskie season now will close on December 1st instead of in February like before. The trade-off for Esox anglers is that we can now fish for northern pike year round. Anyway the reason the season was closed is that there were so many big muskies being killed by ice fisherman. Muskies are particularly vulnerable to ice fishing. The DNR, touts muskie angling as a trophy fishery and there were too many meat hunters killing them. Now the next step will be to get the fines for taking sub-legal fish and out of season fish raised in parity with what it costs to replace big game, ie. deer. I know this is controversial but I believe the fines need to be raised, not just on muskellunge but other species as well.

No comments: