Sunday, February 27, 2005

Weekend Report

Well it was a so-so weekend for me ice fishing. I finally got them going yesterday (gills) with a small shrimpy and no bait. The water on Okoboji is very cloudy where I was fishing and I had to use my Vexilar FL-18. The pattern was to pound the bait and watch the Vex closely, when the fish rose up to the bait, I would start watching the spring bobber for that almost imperceptible twitch and then set the hook. I was unable to get on the ice before noon Friday and Saturday and the bite for me was later in the afternoon.
I ordered a Walleye Flasher kit from Reelbait.com, and I was flabbergasted when I came home Saturday evening that they were here already. My fishing buddy Rick Dicus, kicked my butt one day last summer on Big Spirit with this bait so I had to get an assortment. As you can probably infer, my attention is starting to shift towards softwater fishing. I didn't go on the ice today but spent some time putting new fireline on my linecounters and spooling up some 8lb Vanish Transition on some spinning reels. I am looking forward to using this line this year, it is fluorocarbon that is high-vis above water and invisible underwater.
I think that this weekend might have been it for me for icefishing this winter. We will see?

No comments: